Currently we are trying to help people with dementia and their carers by:
- raising public awareness of dementia illnesses and their effects
- providing information on dementia and support
- providing opportunities for people to comment on their needs and on the services required to meet them
- signposting people to appropriate help
- fundraising to facilitate practical assistance
- working with others to improve local services and resources
- provision of a local dementia information line 01397 708948 (The branch is a partner in this initiative for Lochaber)
- enabling a “Way Ahead Group” for people with dementia and their carers
- Lochaber Carers’ Group (partly facilitated by the branch)
- organising ‘Days Away’ for people with dementia and their carers (The branch is happy to help with finance and assist with arrangements)
- Carers’ library which provides wide-ranging information relevant to dementia, care
- and available services, both local and national.
Membership of Lochaber Branch is open to people living in Lochaber who are interested in supporting people with dementia and their carers in a variety of ways and we are particularly keen to encourage people with dementia and their carers to join us at our monthly meetings.
The Branch Committee meets on the last Wednesday of every month (excepting July and December) from 12.30 – 2pm in The Montrose Centre, Inverlochy, Fort William.